The #Masks4AllinAfrica campaign aims to support masks for all as a community response to COVID-19 in Africa.
The specific objectives of the #MasksforAllinAfrica campaign are to:
- Advocate that all in Africa safely use a fabric face mask in public, to reduce transmission of COVID-19 and other respiratory infectious diseases, and as a sign of social solidarity
- Advocate for universal use of cloth masks in public as a key strategy to reduce the need for lockdowns, with its crippling health, social and economic effects.
- Advocate that the sick, poor and vulnerable have access to fabric face masks.
- Empower low-income individuals and non-profit community groups to sew safe fabric masks, for donation and/or subsistence income.
- Educate the community to wear safe fabric masks correctly, together with other appropriate measures, to reduce COVID-19 transmission.
- Advocate for safe standards of fabric masks manufacture and socially responsible pricing.
- Advocate that businesses and authorities ensure that fabric masks are worn in all closed spaces
- Encourage members of the community to donate their medical and surgical masks to healthcare workers.
- Collaborate with organisations and groups across Africa who share our aim
We are part of the Global #Masks4All campaign. Join us as a Masketeer. Join the African Telegram conversation on #Masks4allinAfrica. Join the South African WhatsApp conversation on #Masks4allinAfrica and/or join local district action groups in South Africa. See the sewing support available. See more about masks and about us. Donate to us. Share this page with all your social circles using the social media links below.
JOIN THE MOVEMENT: Take a selfie with your mask and post it with #masks4all
- Face Masks May Be The Key Determinant Of The Covid-19 Curve, Study SuggestsAs states reopen amid the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, many are documenting still-rising levels of new cases. This is partly, or largely, due to bad pandemic-time behavior—that is, not wearing masks and not social-distancing. Even in New York, which has done … Read more
- Face masks critical in preventing the spread of COVID-19A study by a team of researchers led by a Texas A&M University professor has found that not wearing a face mask dramatically increases a person’s chances of being infected by the COVID-19 virus. Renyi Zhang, Texas A&M Distinguished Professor … Read more
- People are getting sick from coronavirus spreading through the air – and that’s a big challenge for reopeningI am a scientist that studies infectious diseases and I specialize in severe respiratory infections, but I also serve as a member of my church’s safety team. Over the past few weeks as states began to loosen restrictions, we have been discussing if … Read more
- WHO updates guidance on face masks
- WHO updates guidance on face masksWHO Director-General’s opening remarks at the media briefing on COVID-19 – 5 June 2020 COVID-19 – updated guidance on use of masks Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) advice for the public: When and how to use masks
- Lockdown: A window of opportunityLockdowns are necessary because of uncertainty. But the direction of evidence is that people can move around more freely if we disrupt the transmission chain. That cannot be done by one measure alone. Social distancing remains important. Handwashing remains important. … Read more
- Surf youth programme shifts focus to feeding the hungry in lockdownSouth African surfers have been portrayed in a one-dimensional light during the Covid-19 pandemic. On the ground in Strandfontein, on the Cape Flats, the reality is far more inspiring. Every morning at 5, Kaltoema Samodien gets up in the dark, … Read more
- Masks helped keep Japan’s COVID-19 death toll low, says expert panelMask-wearing — anathema to many in the U.S. — is one reason why Japan has avoided the heavy coronavirus death tolls seen in many parts of the world, according to the government’s expert panel on the pandemic. While face-coverings have … Read more